Erupting geysers, bubbling mud pools, ancient calderas and geothermal springs make this, literally, one of the hottest places on earth. Yellowstone National Park is one of the world’s most beloved destinations for an adventurous getaway. The park was established in 1872 as a wilderness preserve, but the area has hosted visitors for more than ten thousand years as evidenced by archeological sites and oral histories. Lace up your boots and explore some of the country’s most spectacular natural wonders, including rushing waterfalls, breathtaking vistas and roaming wildlife. Check out our rundown of the best ways to enrich your visit and enjoy all that Yellowstone has to offer.
Stay alert for bears, wolves, elk and bison as you make your way around the park. Anytime you see a collection of cars along the side of the road and people staring into the woods with cameras and binoculars, you can be sure you’ve stumbled across a sighting. If you’re lucky, you might find yourself stuck in a bison traffic jam as the herd makes its way across the road.
Have a look at deep blue thermal springs without the crowds at the West Thumb Geyser Basin. It may not have an enviable name like Grand Prismatic, but the views are remarkably similar if at a smaller scale. This easy, level walking trail on the shores of scenic Lake Yellowstone showcases its own collection of colorful hot springs worthy of a lingering look.
Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
Yellowstone has its own Grand Canyon, and the valley views along the Yellowstone River are an awesome sight to see. With a number of outlooks perched along each side of the river, you can see the falls from above, nearby and then at a distance as you make your way downstream. Take a good look around as you enter or exit each parking area as wildlife may be in the area.
We’ll Customize Your Adventure
Plan a memorable national park vacation with the expert guidance of our experienced travel agency. Instead of a DIY trip, enlist our team of pros who will take care of all the details leaving you to simply relax and enjoy the journey.
- Veteran Tour Guides: Let someone else wrangle your herd and manage the logistics of the week’s itinerary
- Comfortable Accommodations: Choose from a selection of vetted hoteliers that we recommend
- Local Attractions: Don’t miss the chuckwagon cookout or a whitewater rafting trip down the Snake River – we’ll book it for you
- Private Events: Go upscale with a private fly-fishing trip, hike with a naturalist or one-on-one photo safari
- Distinctive Dining: For many of our guests, meals make the vacation. Ask us about the most popular restaurants in Wyoming.
- End-to-End Planning: We can arrange everything for your hassle-free vacation and provide complimentary amenities that you won’t get by booking on you own.